05 September 2009

Warming up to Wodehouse

It's been ages since I picked up a P G Wodehouse book to read. It must be in school that I read Thank You Jeeves and I remember it wasn't the easiest reads then. First of all, it's British humour and many of the similes can seem alien, so it was a mini-struggle to get through it. I did finish it, but didn't pick up another one, until very recently. Call it a childhood mental block.

Nevertheless, I've been wanting to include some light reading every now and then between serious reviewing - that includes reading Harry Potter -Book 4 by the way. So I attempted Wodehouse this weekend and read 'Very Good Jeeves' . I must say I found it immensely enjoyable - though I still think a certain concentration is required, because every line has a hidden detail that leads to the comic plot.

That said, Wodehouse is incredibly light in content, one that harkens back to the aristocratic excess and leisure of the Edwardian society...where characters don't have to worry beyond choosing between muffins or cucumber sandwiches for breakfast and splitting hair over which scenic spot to spend their summer vacations at. The charm lies precisely in the fact that this world is so far removed from our stressed times. And yes, there is the word-play, vocabulary and delightful turn of phrases that should warm any literary enthusiast's heart.

3 comments:

Arthi said...

Sandhya, nice blog....since you are in pune jus wondering any good libraries out here that you could suggest; also where could one find good old books n classics off the market? am at a loss to go @ here ..help info wud be welcome...

Dreamer said...

Welcome to the world of Wodehouse. Please do try out Laughing Gas and some of the Psmith novels too. Really enjoyed your reviewing style.

sandhya said...

Arthi: I visit the British library in Pune, though I don't think it is that well-stocked. Then there's Pune University, which I believe is very good. Otherwise, I'm not sure there are a great many private libraries in Pune.

Thanks Dreamer, I do intend to read some other Wodehouse stuff also.